Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The One Big Thing


Today, while dehydrating peaches, I noticed that we appear to be having a hurricane. It is exceedingly hot and humid outside; over 40 with the "humidex" but windy as hell! The branches were beating against the windows and I kept hearing things falling over outside. Every now and then there is a tremendous BANG! from behind the house; the sound of a black walnut falling on the tin roof of the neighbour's carport.

It is going to be a good year for black walnuts. The trees are loaded and the nuts are big. It is a pity that I seem to always take my yearly holiday during black walnut season. (Not true of last year's trip to Guatemala and Belize, done properly, in the dead of winter...) But fall is the best season for most things, including canoe-tripping.

I was going to follow this up with a short list of things I hate but find I am totally uninspired. As it turns out, there aren't really that many things I hate anyway. It pretty much all comes down to the one thing and I don't really know how to sum that up.

How a few have everything while most have nothing? How we are cautioned to be grateful for our "freedoms", while everything is taken from us? How we learn to disrespect the natural world and the other animals, and instead worship human celebrities? How we are duped into supporting the war machine?

...Yep, I'm really looking forward to getting into the woods for a few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment