Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hot Water Dough

Lately I don't write here.
Part of the problem is photographs. Or rather, lack of photographs. I need to start taking pictures because this blog needs photos and it's really hard to illustrate the present with photos of the past.

Irony: Right after I wrote that last sentence, Rob came in and asked me to bring him a camera. He wanted a photo of his bike, all covered in slush from his ride to the St. Jacobs market. I am not in the habit of using "the camera". I probably need to get a cell phone, like everyone else. I could barely remember how to turn it on.

Yesterday, I made potstickers from scratch, for the first time. The revelation here was hot water dough. Hot water mixed with flour makes the most incredibly soft, silky dough. Like a baby's earlobe,it was. My method with the actual potstickers was awkward and they looked pretty sloppy when they were done but they are delicious. We are taking them to a party tonight, a Thai-inspired party for Rob's birthday and the birthday of another friend. I know the food will be great and the people are wonderful; it is bound to be a nice evening. So I need to adjust my attitude and get ready to go. But the dough for potstickers! I want to make it again, just to feel it's beautiful texture!

In fact, I want to wrap myself in a blanket of it and live there.
I do need to work on the filling and the folding, so I think potstickers are going to be on the menu again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment